Mod

I flipped through my copy of "The Lucky Guide to Mastering Any Style" this week for style inspiration, and paused at the mod section.  The mod trend returned for spring/summer 2014, labeled as one of the four trends in this February's "Magic" trade show as well as seen in spring collections like Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger (the Zooey Deschanel collaboration).  Several characteristics of classic mod style are bright miniskirts, shift dresses, opaque tights, and boxy jackets with playful features like peter pan collars and big buttons.  I happily realized that I already had several pieces in my closet fitting these mod style characteristics to create today's outfit.  For my take on the mod trend, I paired a black boxy peter pan collar jacket with my mustard mini skirt (seen several times already on the blog, my favorite being with a grey faux leather jacket here).  I added opaque black tights, tall boots, and a black satchel with just the right amount of hardware to complete the look.




 Jacket: Halogen via Nordstrom (old)
Skirt: Forever 21 (old), check out the "Linen-Blend Pencil Skirt" in lime, $15.80 at Forever 21 here
Boots: Purchased in Shanghai, similar Sofft "Felicia Boot" in black, $157.41 (on sale!) at Nordstrom here
Bag: Purchased in Shanghai, I am loving the Vince Camuto "Small Billy Satchel" in black (also available in tan), $216.29 (on sale!) at Amazon here
Tights: "Everyday Opaque Tights" in black, $15 (2 for $24) at Nordstrom here
Watch: Marc by Marc Jacobs "Henry" in gold, $250 at Nieman Marcus here
Ring: Stella & Dot (old), similar "Blooming Flower Ring" in gold, $55 at Max and Chloe here

Mod style is fun and a little bit quirky, with pieces that always feel like just the right balance between casual and dressed up.  Check out my picks for mod pieces below, all under $150:


Left: "Poppy-Go-Lucky Coat" in blue, $129 at Modcloth here
Middle: Zooey Deschanel Collection "Colorblock Dress" in essex ivory, $149 at Tommy Hilfiger here
Right: Topshop "Quilted Diamond Mini Skirt" in orange, $70 at Nordstrom here

How would you style a mod look this spring?  Thanks so much for reading and I hope you have a great week!

Comments

Popular Posts